Sunday, September 05, 2010

Friends From Online

Back in the day when I first stared using the internet I was always warned about the dangers of online chatting. Who knows what kind of person could be on the other side of the computer screen name I was talking to?

Unlike these days where you only get emails of people you know or somewhat know, when I used to use ICQ people could search for randoms to talk to; depending on your age, gender, location, interests etc. So there really wasn't anything blocking some 40 year old looking for 17 year olds to chat up!

Lucky for me though, I was informed and smart enough never to give out any personal information or photos back when I was talking to randoms online. Hopefully kids these days are as smart as I was back then!

Strangely enough, I have a huge bunch of friends who I met through the internet. Granted, it was from a forum for an anime and gaming orchestra based in Sydney but still, we all started posting on a forum which led to an IRC chatroom and then spreading to MSN and now Facebook too.

That was about 5 years ago and now one of the people I met through the forum is one of my closest friends! And all the people from my Japan trip back in Jan/Feb met through the forum!

We now meet up for catch-up dinners, coffees, birthdays and spontaneous events every now and then. And even though some people have grown close, some even dated and broke up we've all remained friends.

Sometimes I feel as though we're one big family full of brothers and sisters.

It gives me faith that it IS possible to meet friends through the internet and create lasting friendships.

2 comments:

cee said...

omg u know there's a fb stalker from my jap class.. aiyahh -.-
i wanna unfriend him bt have to see him every saturday?uhmm..

aww i miss ICQ bt u used it to find randoms?:O

Bonnie said...

damn that sucks! wait till you don't have to see him anymore then unfriend him! lol!!

er... yeah... i think? or maybe randoms found me... i DID talk to people i actually knew too! XD