Friday, April 03, 2009

Social Networking - Twitter, New FB etc.

I think our world has gone insane with social networking. It used to be Hi5, Bebo, Myspace and then Facebook came along.

Now the in thing is Twitter. Instant updates on what your best friend's neighbour's uncle's grandson's god-daughter's cousins's boyfriend's mum's aunt's co-worker's nephew is up to.



Some professor or lecturer from a Victorian university said that there has been a trend to look down on Twitter by non-users. I agree with that. There's a REASON why they're non-users.

I may not know everyone who doesn't use a Twitter but I think one of the reasons why we don't Twitter is because we don't think everyone else needs to know every detail of what happens in our private lives.

I don't think people want to know that I get bored out of my brains in my QMB lecture. Or that I may have just screwed up my accounting quiz. Or that I'm going to leave my finance lecture early to go home because I'm just too damn tired. Or that I only got 3 hrs sleep because I stayed up studying for my finance quiz.

On the other hand, in our celebrity-obsessed world I understand why celebs would have a reason to Twitter. Who doesn't like knowing about where their favourite Gossip Girl star is buying a Starbucks? Where they're jet-setting off to? Or what hot-shot they're currently schmoozing with?



So honestly, unless you had a large haggle of followers, I don't understand why you'd need a Twitter. Isn't the new Twitter-like FB layout enough for you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww boo Bonnie join up ;) then you can tweet me

gossip girl xoxo

Alfie said...

this blog IS your twitter! ^^

Bonnie said...

@Richard: NOooooo! That would make me a complete hypocrite! Hahaha, you can 'Tweet me' on my blog. Or on fb for more instantaneous 'Tweets'. ;)

@Alfie: Yeah hey... I never thought of it that way!! Haha, good one Alfie! =)