Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Value of Money

Like I've been learning in macroeconomics at uni, money is valued by its scarcity. It's worth a lot more when there isn't much of it. And it's worth much less when you have an abundance of it.

Back when everyone was partying after the HSC, I got a job and starte earning back the money that I spent overseas. Back then, I was making enough a week to pay a bi toff my debt to my parents AND also to save. (This happens when you work for something like 61 hrs a week. Most regular office workers work 35-40 hrs a week!)

Since then, I cut down to 2 day then to just 5 hrs on Thursday nights. Till tonight. Tonight was my last official night that I'll be working for this company as I don't intend on getting myself involved with the company any longer.

Hence, I am posed with the problem of where I'm going to get my income from. I refuse to ask my parents for money because I don't want to make life harder on them by having to support me and also, more importantly, I absolutely loathe asking for money.

This might have been from something my HSC maths tutor said to us, "Ever since I was 18 years old, I haven't asked my parents for any money. It made me realise just how difficult it is to make your own money. And you know what? I told my kids the same thing too. When they turned 18, they had to go out and get a job to support their own spending."

I wanted to best that nd be self-sufficient from the day I officially finished school. Which to me, was the last day of my HSC exams.

I suppose I actually took for granted that I was earning so much so quickly (but not without significant sacrifices) because now I can feel the effects of having a much smaller disposable income. Maybe this is also what's contributed to my fear of being poor.

Nevertheless, I've got 3 months until I leave for China and am currently down by 1 less job to help me fun my trip.

Anybody know of anywher hiring?

4 comments:

~clouds~ said...

I've got too many students for tutoring and I'm trying to cut down on them.

You interested in being a tutor Bon?
I'm offloading my physics students. $25/hr for 2hrs a week per student if you want to take it.

Bonnie said...

can't tutor physics.

didn't do it in high school! =P

(plus, it's SICENCE. i SUCK at sciences)

Kylie said...

Don't forget we're off to the Gold Coast for a week soon. NoooOOOOooooO! That's like a week's worth of pay gone!

Bonnie said...

Yeah.. and I'm already in debt.... ='(