Thursday, November 16, 2006

Chinese Cultural Centre's 10th Anniversary Celebration Dinner

Last Saturday night my sis and I went to the Chinese Cultural Centre's 10th Anniversary Celebration Dinner at Chatswood to represent our parents seeing as they couldn't go and Dad still had 2 tickets on him. It was pretty fun for a party where it was dominated by old, important looking people and nobody knew Ky or me (not even from ACSA!) and I must not forget to mention that there were a bunch of tacky performances for entertainment.

There were two chinese women who had way too much makeup on singing chinese opera-like songs, a cheap display of martial arts, some weird dance by a lady with a mask on the back of her head just to name a few. Cathy, Ky and I had cringed enough during the speeches beforehand (one of the opera ladies was the MC with velli bad engrish not to mention too much make-up on as well) so we could hardly bear to look when the performances were on.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm proud of being asian. I'm a damn fob and I'll readily admit to it. So don't think I'm bagging them out because they're chinese and I don't like my own race (what kind of idiot does that?! O wait, my aunty! XD), but there are some things that you can't help cringing and wishing it never occured. Must be similar to when you get aussie parents bursting out to a horribly off-key version of ABBA's 'Dacing Queen' or something like that.

Some pics from the night:
WARNING: LOTS OF PICS


table cards || the menu


me and Cathy || the venue - empty


deep fried seafood rolls with fruit salad || peace x2??


seafood stuffed in king mushroom braised with abalone sauce
this was probably my most favourite dish the whole night~ ^^


yay! ky's clapping!! ..at what? || lobsters with garlic & butter sauce


kam fook special roast garlic chicken || er.. chicken love?


Ky and Cathy || the venue - filled


the fish dish...with a long name || sticky rice in lotus 'leave' XD


unwrapped sticky rice || Cathy's mouth + rice (I took it! How's that for a shot Ken? =P)


rice ball 'on' red bean soup || our ticket


P.S. All the 'wtf' pics were from Cath and Ky...and their hands/fingers...
P.P.S. The lady next to Cath commented to her husband that it must run in the Ha family to have lots of moles upon meeting Ky and I.. -___-;; I resent that comment!

4 comments:

Kylie said...

Lol, nice pics Bon! Hehe, I'm too lazy to blog about it atm I might just uh...link to your blog :p yes indeedy, I think that's an excellent idea!

(Angry Ky)

Gargh! Damn that evil Cathy neighbour woman. Why can't she keep her comments to herself and continue picking her fingernails with a toothpick like any other Asian woman wearing an ill fitting crushed red velvet two piece dress and jacket. (Me? Vicious? Ha!)

Stupid nouveau riche who think they're all that.

(/Angry Ky)

Anonymous said...

there there ky, i'm sure you'll have fun with her on your tour around hk/china!! :D

Anonymous said...

Blah blah blah blah...save me from the wrath of that evil woman...at least you didnt need to put up with her on at the dinner on tuesday...i somewhat did...
i was about to *dies*

Anonymous said...

lol *hugs cathy* poor cath.... XD it was freaking disgusting to see her pick the crap under her nails with a TOOTHPICK!

...i wonder if she ended up using that toothpick for its intended purpose...??? how gross that would have been!