Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Olden Day Vs. Modern Day - Dating

Has anyone ever wondered how our ancestors/elders dealt with having their partner in life chosen FOR them?

Back in the day when arranged marriages were all the rage, the youngsters didn't get much of a choice for their life partner. And divorce was out of the question too!

I'm sure most wouldn't have been happy with the way they were married off to a stranger (for the girls) or have a stranger be picked to have their seed planted in them to make more babies (for the guys). Although, I'm pretty sure any protests from them would have fallen on deaf ears anyway.

This makes me kinda wonder, how did people deal with an arranged marriage?

I'm assuming the couple learn to tolerate each other and eventually love one another since it's not as if they had a choice and what do you when life gives you lemonades? Make lemonade. I.e. make the best of what life gives you.

Doesn't it make you think about how these days it's so normal to have dated a few people before finding the one you want to marry?

We have such a free reign with relationships and dating that I think it's become really easy to lose sight of why a couple wanted to be together in the first place and just give up not long after problems arise.

I'm not saying this applies for all relationships because everyone is different and consequently, all relationships are different.

Heck, I'll even admit that I've done this in the past!

Thinking back to my actions in past relationships makes me feel slightly sadden with the fact that I had such a casual view on them. Not to say that I didn't put any effort in the relationships or cared about the relationship but it wasn't as if I was looking for something long term from the word 'Go'.

Yeah... I'm obviously a romantic at heart. *Sigh*

(And this doesn't mean that I'm gonna be looking for a husband in the next guy I'm interested in!!)

3 comments:

jess said...

Your olden day comparison reminds me of Mao's Last Dancer!

I guess nowadays, people believe that there's "plenty of fish in the sea" and many don't get married until they're older so there's more time for "casual flings" and many aren't looking to commit, but it's different for everyone!

Geoff said...

agreed... i'm amused by your little P.S message at the end xD

Andy said...

I'm all up for old school dating hahahaha! well sorta.

Not so much with the whole arranged marriage business, but believe it or not I have heard about great marriages that were arranged with the kids seeing their parents arranged marriage work out so well that they're quite happy to go for an arranged marriage. definitely takes the pain out of dating. though definitely sucks if your spouse is a total nutcase, but that is up to your parents judgement apparently hahaha! plus if its cultural (which in most contexts arranged marriages are) its perfectly normal to those in the society.

We live in a paradigm shift from old school dating thats been around for years to the whole "test before buy" idea, which I personally think is a really flimsy concept, but one that is so ingrained into our society its natural.

Sleeping around seems to be the norm and tragically broken relationships through whatever reason seems to be accepted as a form of "character growth". But seriously, how many people can one person date before they had enough "character growth" for that one right person they actually do want to live with the rest of their lives? It doesn't sound like chasing after love to me but rather using people for their own selfish means. Quite frankly I respect people too much to do something like that.

I'm not saying dating is wrong in anyway, but how many people does one person need to get emotionally attached and unattached to before they find "the right one"? Sometimes I think its way over done, having countless broken relationships. Not only do you mess around with your own life, but with others as well.

Anyway that's short rant that just came off my head lol. enjoy ;)