Friday, October 10, 2008

Chinese On The Streets

On the way to the Gold Coast, we took a detour via Brisbane so that my uncle could find a Chinese grocery store to buy a box of noodles for lunch. And I have to say, their Chinatown is actually a bit different to Sydney's Chinatown. (And YES, we're so Asian that we eat instant noodles even when we're on holidays!)


Think we'll see anything like this around Haymarket?

We were pretty surprised to see something like this around Brisbane. I kinda assumed that Brisbane was a lot like Sydney. Seeing as it's in Australia, it's the capital of a state and what not. But NO, they have CHINESE street signs! How cool is that!



It actually made me feel cool that I was Chinese and could read the signs... some of the characters anyway. My uncle said that it was because most people who went to Brisbane used to be tourists and so it catered for that market with the street signs. I have no idea if this is true but it's an interesting theory either way.



When we were driving and walking around Chinatown I noticed that there was a different feel about the place on a whole. The buildings had more of a traditional Chinese feel towards them and there was hardly any Asians around! In Sydney, it's pretty much the other way round - western style buildings with swarms of Asians walking around Chinatown. And I think the only street that really has that traditional Asian look is Dixon St!


2 comments:

x.bijou said...

ultimo rd next to market city has a chinese sign. the sign is on the wall of that jap store that sells takoyaki...

Anonymous said...

you should see the brisbane chinatown during xmas...it's literally a ghost town.