Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Family VS. Yours

I've grown up with my parents running their own business which is open every night, 7 nights a week. Even on nights such as NYE and public holidays.

This makes it hard for me to do things with them that most other daughters wouldn't have a problem with.

For example, if I wanted to take my parents out for dinner at afancy restaurant, I'd have to get them to close the business for the night. And unless I had a VERY good reason, they would not agree to it.

And I would not ask that of them.

Other families can go hiking on the weekend or drive out to Hunter Valley for a spot of wine tasting. Or heck, even just go the beach on a nice, sunny day.

I can't even remember the last time I went to the beach with my parents and I've certainly never gone hiking with them.

The only thing I can do with my parents is yum cha on Saturday morning and possibly a home cooked lunch on Sunday.

It's more or less all I get and not even that if I have work on the weekend.

This is why I take joy in the simplest of things with them. Other families might love their national park hikes or dinners out but for me, sitting at home with a cup of tea and chatting with them is enough.

2 comments:

Benmontague said...

Naaawww thats so sweet :)

I spend half my life working - and when I am not working, generally my parents are. The one thing I do every week is drink tea and watch TV sunday nights with my mum, because its one of the few nights we are both home together.

Camb0dia said...

*like*