Sunday, November 08, 2009

Hella Hectic Piece



My eyes popped open when a friend sent me the link. I've never seen a piece as epic as this... then I looked closely and realised why. Hahahah!!

(Btw, you don't have to be able to read music to understand this!)


[ Edit: THERE'S A SECOND PAGE!!!! (Thanks Ky) ]

10 comments:

Kylie said...

There's a 2nd page to it http://substitute.livejournal.com/1394474.html

Unknown said...

i don;t get it

jess said...

Ohh I think I know where that came from =P

Yi said...

i dont get it either..

Kylie said...

Look at the instructions listed throughout the page:

(from page 2)

"Damelle, did you have a burrito for lunch?"

"Shock therapy may be necessary to finish"

"Hey look - rainbow stars"

"Notice: If you are a 2nd Violinist, please do not use a 1st Violin, use the 2nd Violin you were issued"

"Publisher's note: The composer was born under a blue August sky in a small fur trading village in northern Lapland. There he learned the art of shrapnel making..."

"If you can't play this, why don't you call your Mommy"

"Play real zippy-like"

...and my all time favourite:

"There is no wrong way to play this"

Unknown said...

I'm looking for some kind of greater puzzle in this...

or is it just meant to be silly?

still don't understand

Kylie said...

I think part of the humour comes from the fact that it's just so very absurd.

Musical instructions on sheet music are usually worded in a formal way using terminology mostly borrowed from European languages (Italian mostly, I think).

The joke here is that all the instructions are either really ridiculous or worded in everyday speech.

You may need to understand the context it comes from to fully appreciate the joke.

Gaz said...

(from page 1)

"gradually become agitated"

I lol'ed

(from page 2)

"I am never playing this thing again!"

I guess that's another way to say Fine eh? =P

Kylie said...

Lol "fine" is actually a musical term meaning "finish" but haha a love the pun there!

I didn't even notice it!

Gaz said...

Lol, I noticed it cause I actually saw the D.S. al Coda first, and Fine is usually accompanied at the end of that....which brings me to another question: where is the Del Segno sign? I can't seem to find it hmm...