Monday, May 25, 2009

Sometimes UNSW Sucks

I'm so bummed.

It may annoy the hell out of me, but I love Japanese. I really do.

I've been studying it ever since I was in Kindergarten or Year 1. All the way up to Year 12. For HSC. I also did Extension Japanese. And I even did a certificate at TAFE last semester!

That's why I'm so so so bummed that I can't do Japanese next semester and have it actually credited for anything. Stupid me thought that any ARTS#### subject can be counted as a gen ed(general education subject). 

I even organised everything to be able to be accepted into the course before I remembered that I hadn't asked UNSW's faculty of Business whether or not it would be credited.

A friend of mine is doing absolutely beginner Japanese (as in starting with あいうえお) and it's going to be credited towards her degree as a gen ed.

'WHY?' You may ask.

Simple, because she's doing a BEGINNERS course.

Since I did Japanese Continuers and Extension for my HSC, there's no way I'd be allowed to do beginners Japanese. I was originally supposed to be in the advanced course but I talked to the lecturer and she said it was okay for me to do intermediate thanks to my hiatus from learning Japanese since HSC (on the uni's records anyway).

Now I can't even do intermediate!!

And I only found out today after getting authorisation to enrol into Intermediate Japanese on my.unsw.

ARGH!!!!

I'm considering doing Introductory Chinese B but I'm going to have to rearrange a lot of my classes because there are so few classes for Chinese. (We even get split into background and non-background. I'd be considered 'background' because I speak Cantonese which is a dialect of Chinese. Poo.)

Gosh, sometimes I REALLY REALLY hate uni. And this time, it isn't even because of an assessment!!

3 comments:

Kylie said...

I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Go do Chinese B. I'm sure you'll be fine.

celiaa said...

hey bon,

you dont *have* to do backgrounds if you're uncomfortable with it. my friend is doing the non-background althou she can speak perfect canto.

hope you can get in :)

celi.

tina said...

Aww :( That really sucks bon! I know you really wanted to do jap -- can't you double major in Japanese and Accounting though??