Thursday, March 06, 2008

OMG, I'm actually nerdy?

Since working at a particular shopping center since the end of last year, I've noticed that there are SO many school kids out on every Thursday night.

Don't they need to be at home, studying? Shouldn't they be at home with their books? Studying and completing homework or researching for an assignment? Instead of hanging out and shopping their friends in the nearby shopping center until 9pm?

I've never thought of myself as nerdy (even though I've joked a hell lot about it). I've been enrolled for various private tutors and coaching colleges since I was in Year 1 in 1996! There's solid proof that I'm a lazy arse who hates studying!

When I was in high school I never went out at night just to go night shopping with my friends. It just wasn't heard of.

I put together a list of possible reasons to explain this:

a) Only half my group of friends live around my area.

b) I would've had to ask someone to take me and I predict he reply would've been some kind of a NO. For example, "Why do you want to go shopping on a school night? Just wait for the weekend to go shopping. And you should be thinking about your schoolwork, not shopping!" Or a long winded kind of NO answer, I guess.

c) My friends wouldn't have been allowed out either.

d) Asian parents with their Asian kids out. After sunset. Where there are muggers and rapist hiding behind every corner. Enough said.

Hmmm.... now that I think about it, I myself am not nerdy but because of my school friends (sorry girls, I still love you all!) and environment at school. Both were so damn studious and focused on academics that I was subconsciously influenced to conform and not be so tempted to go out, party and shop away the money I didn't have.

I guess I DO have something to thank my principal for. Woah.

Well that confirms one thing for me, my kid(s) is/are definitely going to have to go to a top selective school for sure!!

No comments: